Managing Agent – Common Questions
Is your company a member of any professional body/bodies?
- Yes, we are full members of ARMA (the Association of Residential Managing Agents). We are of course bound by their code of conduct and subject to their strict audit requirements.
Do you hold Professional Indemnity Insurance?
- We hold full Professional Indemnity Insurance cover to underwrite the quality of our service and our standards of performance and a copy of our Certificate of Insurance can be provided upon request.
How long has your company been in existence?
- The Company was incorporated in April 2005 as Amber Estate Management Limited and is registered in England under company number 5124714. The trading name of the company is Amber Management. The principals in the company have combined property experience spanning in excess of 40 years.
How many employees do you have involved in Property Management?
- We have 10 full time members of staff engaged solely on Property Management activities and numerous part time support staff.
Are you able to provide proof of your financial viability?
- We make no secret of the fact that, unlike a number of our competitors, our organisation is well run, profitable, and virtually debt free. Our accounts are filed and available for inspection at Companies House. Further information may be provided upon request.
Do your fees attract VAT?
- Our company is registered for VAT and hence VAT is payable on all fees.
- Our VAT Registration Number is 888253378.
Will the location of your office, or offices, have a bearing on the service we may expect to receive?
- Our property managers spend a large amount of their time at and about the properties under management, wherever they may be, and therefore distance from or proximity to any given development is not an issue. Whist they are elsewhere other than in the office the Property Management Support Team will deal with all maintenance and non-strategic issues arising
What IT facilities do you have and what information can you record and keep updated?
- We reiterated our Commitment to Excellence in the provision of services for clients by the decision to continue to move forward with the QUBE Property Management Software Solution, as the backbone of our client property management, accounting and administration software.
Where and how do you keep Service/Maintenance Charge funds, how are they administered and who receives any interest?
- Each of our clients has their own designated bank account. All our bank accounts are with HSBC. Client bank accounts are reconciled on a weekly basis and interest earned is credited to the account on a quarterly basis.
How do you deal with unpaid service/maintenance charges, and what procedures are in place to deal with defaulters?
- We have robust processes in place for the issue of service/maintenance charge demands, and the recovery of monies payable from defaulters. In common with our clients we take the view that it is simply unfair that any one payee discharging his/her/their obligations in a timely fashion should have to subsidise another who does not. A process of incremental reminders and chasers, possibly leading to recovery action in some instances, has resulted in our first class record of service/maintenance charge recovery.
How am I able to pay my service/maintenance charge?
- You can pay by cheque, credit card, or subject to client approval, by Standing Order. Details are included with service/maintenance charge demands.
How do you conduct business with your clients?
- In addition to Annual General Meetings, one or more periodic meetings may be convened each year and notes of such meetings recorded. The periodicity of meetings may depend on the size, nature and requirements of the client.
- Advances in technology are leading to more and more ‘day-to-day’ business being conducted via electronic means, for instance via email. This can be mutually beneficial as matters of interest, particularly contentious ones, can be highlighted, discussed and usually dealt with more speedily.
How often does a representative from your company visit properties you manage and check on how contractors fulfill their obligations?
- Our property manager will visit your property/development on occasions as agreed/specified in our management agreement, with additional visits being conducted as and when necessary.